Neurospirituality...?

I see life through a spiritual lens. This isn't a choice, I always have. As a tiny child with no religious input, I used to hide in corners and wait for Something to Happen. I remember curling up and lying in one spot for hours, expecting to see Fairies. Had I known about angels back then, I would have been watching for them.

As I grew a bit older I tried to pray although I wasn't sure who or what to.

I mentioned before that I now realise God was my Hyperfocus. Quite a good choice as half a century on there is still plenty to think about. 

I have no interest in prescribing what others should think or believe. I respect the views of everyone. I can't prove anything I believe in so why should I think it has more merit than anybody else's faith? (Okay, I do find Flat Earthers... intriguing, shall we say... but then I have known plenty of Christians who have proudly held bizarre beliefs which they wouldn't allow to be challenged, so...)

The more I think about neurodiversity and faith, the more connections I see (well I would, wouldn't I!) I've already said that I can see a strong trail of ND individuals in the Bible and Church History, which I think goes a long way to explaining how we have ended up with such strongly-opposed factions each holding onto their version of 'Truth'. (I'm with Pilate here: what is Truth anyway?!)

Religion is undoubtedly behind much of the evil in the world. I can't go along with it being responsible for all of it because there are some atheist dictators in the mix (although you could argue they were reacting against religions, so maybe...) But I think it's fair to lay a lot of blame at religion's door. I have no doubt that if Christians had had bombs at the time, the Crusades would have been even bloodier. They were on a mission not just to gain land but ultimately, to Prove They Were Right.

I think ND people have a lot to contribute in the area of understanding that it's not all about Me. Growing up knowing you are different puts you in a position of looking around and seeing how the world is organised unfairly. Coupled with a strong sense of justice and a tendency not to blurt out what you think and give less than a shit about what people think of you, there is a heady cocktail of potential to Challenge the Norm.

When you look at the world, I think it's fair to say that the Norm needs challenging.

So what can each of us contribute? How can we help things to get better?

When I peel away the years of religious conditioning, now I have read the Bible with fresh eyes and really sought to understand what's being said, I have come to the conclusion that for me, faith is about seeing this time on earth for what it is - a fleeting moment on a pale blue dot. I reeled with everyone else at the way the pandemic destroyed our normal experience of Time, but I welcome the insights it has brought me; the understanding that Time really is fluid. That when the chips were down for humanity, what mattered most was that we somehow held onto Love and Hope. 

And that's really my beliefs in a nutshell. 

We are creatures trapped in Time who will one day escape it. I've no idea what that will look like but if energy is constant then my life force will end up somewhere, doing something.

And of course, on some days the idea of growing older and dying is a little daunting.
But mostly I find it exhilarating. I long to find out what comes next - and if it's nothing, what have I lost by hoping?

In the meantime, I believe I have a mission to make life as good as I can for as many people as I can, simply by bringing Love and Light to the world, by recognising that 'I' am part of 'We' and making the most of being a wave on the tide before I crash onto the beach. 

'God' is shorthand for all those things we don't know and can't explain. It's the easy answer in some ways, which is why some people look on believers with scorn. But in other ways it's the hardest thing to believe because of course - "How can a loving God...?" is the question which springs to mind.

But then - how can a loving God permit a sunset? Allow Chopin's piano music to exist? Paint trees in autumn colours?

You see, I don't have that view of God as someone who makes everything happen. I see life as a canvas I am painting.

But – so is everyone else. Imagine a room full of children painting, all on the same canvas. Now – unless there is some agreement amongst them, it will be chaotic. Eventually the colours will muddy.

Is there anybody in the room who can help them to direct their efforts? A teacher perhaps, who can give gentle suggestions? Why don't three of you paint trees? What about a few birds? Who can paint a castle?

Whether or not God exists is almost immaterial. The question is, what would happen if each of us behaved as though our guiding impulse was Love? If we managed to ignore our egos and work together to bring Love and Light to the dark places?

That's the experiment I would love to see. That sums up my religion. How about you?











 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the pathway to The Pathway

Water in my soul - overwhelm

Why it matters...